4-2 weeks before you move:
- Start packing / sorting: If you are doing the packing yourself start as soon as you can, and certainly no later than two weeks before the move.
- You can start packing the clothes in your cupboards that are out of season.
- In your kitchen you can start packing all the things that you seldom use e.g. toasted sandwich maker, fondue set, soda stream machine.
- You can also pack books, DVD’s and videos.
- While you are packing you can get rid of your unnecessary clutter.
- Change of address: Remember to let companies know of your new address, e.g. banks, clothing accounts, insurance companies, etc.
- Land lines (Telkom): If you are staying in the same suburb and your number can stay the same, contact Telkom and request them to transfer your number from the existing address to the new address.
3 days before you move:
- Pack a bag: Pack a bag with a change of clothes for the day of the move and for the next day. Include a survival kit for your new home; include things like toilet rolls, light bulbs, candles, a few tools, matches, cash and a list of important numbers. Include anything that you think you might need for a couple of days after the move.
- Keys: Please check that the keys to your new home are going to be available and that you know what to do with your own keys. Any spare keys should be clearly labelled and left where they will be seen when you leave the house on moving day. Please remember not to leave them in direct view of any window. The kitchen worktop is usually good as it’s normally the first place the new people will head towards and organize first
- Parking: Check with neighbours and resolve any parking problems (e.g. if the truck is unable to park in your premises and has to park in the street and might inconvenience the neighbours) etc.
2 days before you move:
- Fridges / Freezers: Empty, defrost and dry out your fridge / freezer, this is most important if your furniture is to go into storage or travel over a long distance. If you don’t do this it will defrost on its own in the back of the removal truck, leaking over everything around it.
- Kitchen cupboards: Go through the kitchen cupboards and throw out anything that is out of date. Also while you are there check to make sure all the packets, bottles and jars are sealed tightly to avoid spillage.
- Valuables / documents: Pack valuables and documents and put in a safe place.
1 day before you move:
- Packing: Aim to finish the packing today, apart from a few essentials in the kitchen and bathroom. You will feel so much better when you can see the end is finally in sight. Don’t forget to clearly mark the boxes with the room name you would like them to end up in.
- Dismantle & disconnect: Take down curtains and any fixtures you are intending to take with you. Make sure you have disconnected the washing machines.
- Toiletry box: Make up a box in the bathroom and put in the toiletries that you aren’t using. Leave this box open to put in all the other toiletries. Tomorrow morning after everyone has got up and finished using the toiletries, you can seal the box.
- Outside items: Anything outside that you can move, try and put either inside the garage or in a dry place; there is nothing worse than putting soaking wet outside furniture into a removal truck along with all your other furniture.
- Cell phones: Make sure that your cell phone is fully charged.
Day of the move:
- Bathroom: Finish packing the toiletry box.
- Strip the beds: Put the linen in the box that is clearly marked bed linen.
- Final check: Once the truck is loaded, take a walk around the house to ensure that all items to be moved have been placed in the truck. Check behind doors, in cupboards and on the walls. You would be surprised how often people keep looking at a clock on the wall, but never remember to take it down.